Review of U.S. Family Auto Insurance for 2022
Customers primarily give the company, also known as AmFam, high marks for service and satisfaction. That, along with the cheapest auto insurance rates, should make this auto insurer a competitor in your search if you are in one of the states where they do business.
This review explores the types of auto insurance that American Family offers, the company’s rates, and more.
What Kind of Auto Coverage Can You Get?
In addition to covering typical cars, American Family also offers other types of auto insurance, including motorcycles, RVs, ATVs, and more. Like most insurance companies, American Family also offers other products, such as home insurance, life insurance, travel insurance, identity theft insurance, and more.
AmFam offers a range of auto insurance coverages, some of which are mandatory and others optional, such as:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP), also known as no-fault insurance
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist
Other coverage options
AmFam also offers additional insurance options such as:
- DIFFERENCE: When you add GAP coverage, it pays the difference between the actual cash value of your car and the loan amount for the financed vehicles if they are totaled or stolen
- Rental car refund: Covers the cost of a rental car until your the car is repaired after an accident
- 24/7 emergency road service: Assistance with jump starts, towing, roadside repairs, tire changes, lockout and fuel delivery
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage: Atypical coverage that pays if a car accident has a fatal end, regardless of who is at fault
- Accident forgiveness: The company will not increase the rates after the first accident you cause.
- Carpooling : Suitable for Uber and Lyft drivers, this cover allows you to cover you while waiting for a customer on the app.
- Medical payment coverage: This coverage can help pay for medical costs related to injuries sustained by you and your passengers in an accident. However, it is only available in states that do not have “no-fault” insurance laws.
RELATED STORIES: Is It Legal to Drive Without Auto Insurance?
What Are the Benefits of American Family Auto Insurance?
American Family is popular with its wide range of auto insurance discounts that help auto insurance buyers lower their rates.
What discounts can I get with American Family?
- Multi-products: There is a discount when you bundle two or more policies with AmFam, such as auto and home or auto and life.
- Multi-vehicle discount: If you insure more than one vehicle with the company.
- Focus on savings: You can benefit from a discount if you change competitor insurer and join AmFam.
- Loyalty discount: This one is for longtime US family customers.
- Defensive driver: There is a break for drivers 55 and over who complete a defensive driving course.
- Good behavior: Drivers with a clean driving record, no offense, no accident or claim can benefit from this reduction.
- Discount on the KnowYourDrive app: Install the app to track your driving behavior and save up to 20%.
- Low mileage: For those who drive less than 7,500 miles per year. Check out our story on Average Kilometers Traveled Per Year to find out why mileage matters.
- Good student discount: If your child does well in school, he may be eligible for a reduction.
- Safe driver for teens: Teenagers who want their driving behavior tracked with an app can get up to 10% off after 3,000 miles.
- Young volunteer: Drivers under 25 and over 40 hours per year of volunteering benefit from a discount.
- Automatic payment: If you subscribe to the automatic payment of your premium, you will benefit from a break.
- Paperless remittance: You can get a discount if you opt for online invoicing and electronic delivery of your policy documents.
Always remember to contact the company directly with all questions related to discounts and shop competitors like GEICO, State Farm and others for auto insurance quotes to determine the best policy and the best discounts for you.
RELATED STORIES: How to Lower Your Auto Insurance Premiums
How Much Does American Family Auto Insurance Cost?
According to ZebraAmerican Family auto insurance costs an average of $ 117 per month. However, you might get a different quote based on your age, gender, and average annual miles. Other factors, including your location, driving and credit history, also affect rates. Let’s take a closer look.
Other Factors Affecting Auto Insurance
Living in a city with high crime and auto accident rates will affect the way an insurance policy is drawn up. If you live in an area prone to flooding, this will affect your quote.
According to advised, which collects data on current consumer policy rates, Maine is the cheapest state for auto insurance. Auto insurance in New York is the most expensive.
|The cheapest||Very expensive|
|1. Maine||1. New York|
|2. Hawaii||2. Rhode Island|
|3. Idaho||3. Washington, DC|
|4. Wyoming||4. Maryland|
|5. Iowa||5. Louisiana|
Savvy’s statistics provide a representative sample used as a general guide. This example does not detail the information provided by the insurer. Learn more about Savvy’s methodology.
A DUI, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, can have a significant impact on your premium. Insurance companies typically offer higher premiums to drivers with DUIs, and rates typically increase between 30% and 100%.
However, the good news is that according to Zebra, American Family rates fall below the national average of $ 205 per month compared to its competitors after a DUI penalty.
|Automobile insurer||Average monthly premium after DUI|
|american family||$ 137|
|State farm||$ 157|
Source: The Zebra
Driving history also plays a major role in insurance rates. Overall, people with a bad driving history can expect their rates to be on average much higher than those with a good driving history.
At-fault collisions and other accidents can have a huge impact on your auto insurance premiums. According to The Zebra, drivers in at-fault accidents can expect fares to increase by $ 757 each year for up to five years.
American family drivers involved in a at-fault accident can expect to pay $ 147 per month, well below the national average of $ 179 per month.
How will my credit history factor into my rate?
Another important factor that insurers take into consideration is a person’s credit history. A A very bad FICO credit score can cost a driver up to 165% more for the same auto policy than someone with exceptional credit. FICO scores help auto lenders and insurers make accurate, reliable, and timely credit risk decisions for car buying and auto policy rates, among its many uses.
Satisfaction of American family customers
According to JD Power 2021 US Auto Insurance Study Out of nearly 40,000 people rating customer satisfaction, American Family was the # 1 auto insurance brand in the Southwest region for the second year in a row. The study looked at criteria such as auto insurance claims, policy offerings, the billing process and policy information, customer interactions, and pricing.
In JD Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey in the United States in 2021, American Family ranked 889 out of 1,000, above the industry average of 880. The study looked at 7,345 auto insurance customers who settle claims.
American family history
american family was founded in 1927 as the Farmers Mutual Insurance Company in Madison, Wisconsin. Initially, it only offered auto insurance to farmers.
The company has since grown to cover drivers in 19 states: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota , Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin.
When assessing the financial strength of the company, AM Best gives the company an A rating, which is considered very high. Financial strength determines the stability of a business and its ability to pay claims. Consumers looking for auto insurance rates should know that a business can pay for these claims when they need it most, such as in a flood, tornado, or major car accident.
Before determining which auto insurance provider to choose, it is essential to research quotes from multiple providers so that you can choose the best insurer for you.